PETER WELCH, Senator for Vermont

*Updated September 25, 2023

Vermont is recovering from intense flooding damage. Below, my office has included resources to help you stay updated on the situation and get help.


What Individuals Should Do

  • If you have sustained damage to your property, you should report it to Vermont 211. If you can’t access the 211 website, call 866-652-4636 or 802-652-4636 and leave a voicemail.
  • After reporting damage to 211, you should also submit a FEMA request by October 12 (EXTENDED), even if you are in a county undeclared for individual assistance.
  • You can also reach out to the Small Business Administration for disaster assistance. Even as an individual, they offer rental assistance and other benefits. 
  • If a FEMA official visits your home for an inspection, they will have identification and will not charge you. You don’t have to wait for an inspector to arrive before beginning repairs, but you should take photos and keep receipts to document the damage.
  • Do not rush to demolish building before obtaining FEMA assistance. Contact Vermont Emergency Management before any demolition.
  • You may also receive a letter directing you to apply for a loan through the Small Business Administration (SBA) by October 12 (EXTENDED).


What Businesses Should Do


What Farmers Should Do

  • If your farm has sustained damage, it’s crucial to report your losses to the Farm Service Agency. This applies to any farm within Vermont that sustained flooding-related damages during the storm – regardless of the county. You can email or call 802-828-5667. Find your FSA location here.  
  • Even if you don’t think you are covered, you should still report your losses to FSA. If you filled out a CCC-860 during the pandemic, you may already have basic coverage under the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program. 
  • There are also multiple funds that you can apply to now. Farmers can request up to $5,000 in grants from the Farmer Emergency Fund and can apply for up to $10,000 in emergency loans from the Vermont Farm Fund
  • There are new federal disaster assistance programs is available. Contact your local USDA service center to learn more. 


Be Aware of Scams

Following natural disasters, it’s common for an increase in scams to occur. Typical scams include:

  • Fraudulent contractors offering to assess damage. 
  • Fake “officials” entering businesses and asking for payment. 
  • Email, phone, and social media scams asking for personal information. 
  • Fake charities soliciting donations. 

Avoid being impacted by verifying and services or donating to organizations. FEMA officials will carry and ID badge. 

Disaster Recovery Centers

At Disaster Recovery Centers, you can learn more about disaster assistance programs, find out the status of your FEMA relief application, and get answers to other questions regarding federal assistance. Centers are open 8am-7pm seven days a week.


  • Barton: Memorial Building, 17 Village Square
  • Barre: Barre Auditorium, 16 Auditorium Hill
  • Ludlow: Ludlow Community Center, 37 Main St
  • Waterbury: Armory, 29 Armory Drive


Disaster Recovery Center services include:

  • Financial assistance, cases of water, shelf-stable pantry boxes, and hygiene kits from the Salvation Army
  • Assistance finding recovery resources
  • Mental health services
  • Basic medical services
  • More


Business Recovery Centers

  • Ludlow: Engel and Volkers Office, 126 Main Street

Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Sunday – Closed

Helpful Phone Numbers

  • Senator Welch Burlington office: 802-863-2525
  • Reporting your damage: 866-652-4636 or 802-652-4636
  • FEMA damage reporting: 1-800-621-3362
  • Farm Services Agency: 802-828-5667 


Actions our office has taken to support Vermont

  • The Vermont delegation sent a letter to President Biden—urging him to declare a state of emergency in Vermont—to unlock critical federal resources to help Vermonters stay safe and recover. President Biden signed the emergency declaration the following day. 
  • Peter spoke with FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell, urging the agency to support Vermont’s recovery.   
  • Peter joined the FEMA Administrator, Governor Scott, and the rest of the delegation in touring the flood damage in Montpelier and Barre.  
  • Following the FEMA tour on Wednesday, Peter spoke on the Senate floor to urge his colleagues to help get Vermont the resources it needs to rebuild.  
  • The Vermont delegation sent another letter to President Biden, urging him to approve Governor Scott’s request for a major disaster designation. 
  • Peter sent a letter to Agriculture Secretary Vilsack signed by the Vermont delegation, urging him to declare a Secretarial Disaster Designation, which would secure desperately needed support for Vermont’s farming community that has been devastated by the flooding. On September 5, Secretary Vilsack approved the disaster designation, opening up more resources to farmers.
  • The delegation sent a letter to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg in support of Vermont’s request for assistance in rebuilding infrastructure damaged in the flooding. 
  • Peter spoke with the Small Business Administration Administrator Isabella Guzman, sharing how devastating the flooding has been for small businesses and asking for their continued support to help our business community recover. 
  • He has visited farms to assess the damage, hear from them about the challenges they’re facing, and reiterating the importance of reporting crop losses and federal resources available. 
  • The Vermont delegation sent a letter to President Joe Biden urging him to work closely with Congress to secure supplemental disaster aid for urgent flood recovery and long-term disaster mitigation in Vermont.
  • Invited USDA Under Secretary Robert Bonnie to survey flood damage to farms.
  • The Vermont delegation sent an updated letter to their colleagues, urging them to support supplemental disaster relief for impacted states.